Pretwa is a two-player abstract strategy game having originated in Bihar. Played with two sets of nine pawns each, the player has to strategise his win by capturing all the opponent pawns. This game is popular in Bihar region. In Pretwa, counters can move along the circumference of circles and attack from unexpected corners, they seem like poltergeists to opponents and hence the name. Pretwa is the game that hones one’s the mental mathematical ability and develops competitive spirit.
The products purchased in the shop section of Bhavyata Foundation website (www.bhavyata.com) are treated as donation towards supporting the artisans and craftsmen. You shall receive a donation receipt for the same purchase. If, at all, you wish to receive an invoice with GST, you may purchase the same product from our product partner on TheIndianSpirit Website.
10 in stock
The history of games dates to the ancient human past. Games are an integral part of all cultures and are one of the oldest forms of human social interaction. Games are formalized expressions of play which allow people to go beyond immediate imagination and direct physical activity.
Design & Craft
Personal Handpainted art, it is 100% natural and vegan.
As with all children’s products, adult supervision is required. Products that contain small parts may pose a choking hazard and should not be used by children under 3.
Prone to lose color over time slightly as is the case with all natural dyed & handmade products.
Know The Artists!
Kalamkari artists use special pens to draw and create nuanced diagram and weave with hands so that they are rich in touch, look and feel.
These board games are created in “Kalamkari” from Andhra Pradesh.
“Kalam” means pen and “Kari” means craftsmanship; it is basically a style of textile design made by painting intricate patterns with vegetable dyes.
The pawns are made of wood in Karnataka.
This is how these beautiful board games not only is fun playing but it also provides livelihood to various artisans from various parts of India.
How to play !
Game Paraphernalia –
1 game board, 2 sets of 9 counters (total 18)
Game Setup –
- Each player gets an army of 9 soldiers. They are placed only on intersections of lines (fig 1). In the beginning, all the counters are placed on the board (fig 1).
Rules to play –
- During a turn, only one counter has to move to an adjacent point which is connected to its current point by line or by an arc. It can move in any direction and even on the arcs of the circle (fig 2).
- If a point is not connected to its present point by a direct line or by an arc, the counter cannot move there (fig 2).
- If counter encounters a lone opponent counter which has an empty point behind it (in the same line or arc), then the counter jumps over to the empty-point and captures the opponent counter. (fig 3)
- The counter can jump over multiple opponents during its turn provided it always lands on an empty-point before jumping over the next opponent (fig 4). There is no limit for a counter to capture its opponent’s counter in a single turn.
- A counter cannot jump over an opponent if there is no empty point behind the opponent (fig 5). A counter cannot jump over an empty-point, not even to capture an opponent (fig 6).
- A counter cannot change its direction while capturing (fig 7) however after capturing, it can change its direction to capture another counter (fig 4)
- A captured counter is permanently out of the game. Winner-The player who has captured the opponent’s entire counter is the winner.
Maintenance & Care
Avoid direct sunlight for long.
Dust or wipe with dry brush/ cloth.
|Dimensions||12 × 12 × 4 in|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.